By: Nick “Tapobu” Rohlf
It’s that time of year again – FOOTBALL time! No, not that liberal wussy “soccer” stuff with the fake injuries and the red cards. I mean REAL football, AMERICAN football! And if you’re a real American, you’re probably preparing yourself for the best super bowl party of the year. But are you preparing to celebrate your super bowl in a godly fashion? Don’t get me wrong, everything about the super bowl just screams “this is a Christian sport” – what with the running at each other and tackling each other and scoring points and all that sort of thing. But why not go the extra mile for your super bowl party and make it a true celebration of your faith? Here are some ideas.
1) Practice your “Tebowing.” No, Tim Tebow isn’t playing this year, and no he’s never actually made it to a super bowl. But he was on the Broncos once and he did pretty reasonably well. So practice the Tebow stance and do it every time your team scores.
2) Pray for your quarterback. It really takes very little time, and you’ll be doing your part to ensure your team’s victory.
3) Envision the entire game as a holy war. Your team is naturally God’s army, and when they inevitably win after an epic battle that was always predetermined to go on your favor, you can celebrate by claiming that you knew all along who was going to win. If your team loses, just remember that God loves the underdogs.
4) Instead of watching the NFL half-time show, invite a local pastor to give a super bowl themed sermon – while wearing his/her favorite jersey, of course.
5) Order a keg of sparkling grape juice. Who needs alcohol anyway? And what could possibly go better with buffalo hot wings than grape juice?
Hopefully these ideas will help you enjoy your super bowl while still keeping time for your faith. Of course, alternately you could remember that Jesus himself happened to enjoy a good party now and then. Just don’t turn your water into whine if your team starts to lose.